Tuesday 1 February 2011

The True History of Paradise –Margaret Cezair-Thompson



A True History of Paradise, follows Jean having to flee her home in Jamaica due to Civil Unrest.  Which is a treacherous journey through dangerous lands, and soldiers trying to stop her at every turn. She is travelling with  Paul, the only man she has ever loved.  She also has to come to terms with her sisters death. It during this journey we learn about how the story came to be, with memories of her childhood and stories of her ancestors.  

Brought – I have read her previous novel (The Pirates Daughter) and loved it, and wanted to see if this one was just as good.

I want to say I loved this book, and it was a master piece and I really feel I should but to me it had just a few flaws which made it a little less than brilliant. But then maybe I am just being picky. Don’t get me wrong I did love this book and couldn’t put it down, I was truly interested in it and thought it was a fabulous read. Margaret has a great way of getting you involved in her novels and really understanding the true culture of Jamaica. She has a lovely way of writing which makes you visualise what’s going on very well and really get a feel of this world.

The story follows a modern young woman, fleeing Jamaica from War and Civil Unrest and reminisces stories of her ancestors. It’s got a lovely use of true Jamaican Language with a nice little glossary at the back in case you can’t work it out, (most of its not hard). The story and the insights really do reflect a history of Jamaica and how family’s lived throughout time. I thought this book was wonderfully insightful and truly beautiful to learn how Jamaican history stands and is told in a way that you know she’s both experienced it and studied this topic well.

My criticism of this book is that it was more of a history than a story, you didn’t really feel very close to any particular character and the story of Jean didn’t really exist. But again maybe I should accept this. My second criticism was that it was a bit confusing the relations of each of the characters (despite the family tree at the front). But again it being called a History maybe I should accept it as a historical document as appose to a story. I feel that it was a good story but it to me didn’t end, and I felt that was a shame.


No comments:

Post a Comment