Thursday 17 February 2011

Animal Farm - George Orwell

When the animals of Manor Farm get fed up of being over worked and not well looked after by their farmer, they create a revolution to take over the farm. The animals are now in charge, they have their own rules, and they eventually form their own hierarchy. What ensues is a vivid description of how power corrupts and leaves the animals in no better a position then when they were under the rule of the humans.


Read – Because it’s a classic and one I have been meaning to read for a while


Everyone knows about the story of animal farm, we all know the rules, and the mottos. So this familiarity made it easy to read for me. I can’t remember if I have read it before or just am familiar with the story but either way I was glad I re-read it. A short book it took no time at all to read and was full of Orwell’s metaphors and messages.

I think I needed to know little more about Russian history and dictatorship, and maybe read into more of the political references to fully understand this book. However it is written in such a way you are able to read it from all levels, without taking away the meaning of the book. For example if you know nothing about the history of Russian Politics you still get the connotation of a dictatorship society, corruption, and political leadership.

Orwell Manages to cram a lot into a small novel, and its beautiful in its own little way. I understand why this is classed as a literary genius and also knowing when it was written makes it a very important read. I recommend that everyone should read this book as an important part of our history and our literacy.


No comments:

Post a Comment