Sunday 30 October 2011

The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet - Benjamin Hoff

Pooh has a certain way of doing things which Hoff has realised relates closely to the ancient principles of Taoist philosophy. As for piglet he has the Virtue of the Small (or Chinese for Te). Hoff explains the basic principles of these Chinese philosophies using examples from the Classic Winnie the Pooh Tales.


Why Read - Having recently got more interested in various Cultures and religions and wanting to especially study Chinese virtues - including Taoism and Buddhism, i thought this would be an excellent place to start.

I read this book lightly, expecting a very brushed over view of philosophy and almost to take this book with a pinch of salt - not very seriously. Although it is mentioned that this book is used among texts for studying this ancient virtue.  However once i started reading it I realised how clever this book actually is.

I found myself fascinated by this book, he uses examples both from the tales of Pooh and the ancient Chinese folk stories very well and expresses his ideas in a easy obtainable and simple manor. I think this is an excellent start to reading about Taoism and really explains the basic principles both clearly and in examples that we can all relate to. This is the kind of book I will be keeping on my shelf and referring back to regularly.

Having wanting to adopt these ideas of Taoism and Buddhism in my life, this has given me a very clear foundation and I think it should be a book everyone who is interested in Mind, Body, and Spirit issues should read as a must. Excellent book.

No comments:

Post a Comment