Friday 17 June 2011

Smoke and Mirrors - Neil Gaiman


Smoke and mirrors, is a collection of Gaiman's short stories, and prose.  An elderly widow finds the Holy Grail beneath an old fur coat. A stray cat fights and refights a terrible nightly battle to protect his unwary adoptive family from unimaginable evil. A young couple receives a wedding gift that reveals a chilling alternative history of their marriage.


Why read - I have read a few of his books before and wanted to see if this was on par. 

I was a little disappointed with this book.  When i started reading, i noted that half the stories I had read in another collection of his short story books.  I didn't complete this book either, I skimmed through the first few stories, as I knew I had already read them, mostly looking for something new to read. I also skipped most of his poems/verses as I am never a huge fan of these.  After a while i got bored of skimming this book, and started to read another, and didn't want to finish this particular novel.

I found most of the stories a bit dry and lacking in any depth. Most of them left me confused and thinking what was the point of that. They did not seem to start or end, you just got thrown in the middle without really knowing what was going on. I found them a little bit boring, and just not very interesting at all. 

A very disappointing read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment