Tuesday 12 April 2011

Bollocks To Alton Towers - Robin Halstead

Bollocks to Alton Towers - Uncommonly British Days Out, is a tour of Britain with the more unusual side to attractions in the Uk.  Find out about the Gnome Magic, Diggerland where you can race a JCB, or go and visit Chelmsford's Secret Nuclear Bunker - Yes its even signposted as that.

Why Read - After being made to read a few travel books and deciding I quite enjoyed them, and always being fascinated by the weird and wonderful sites to see around the world, I found this in a Charity shop and thought it looked quite interesting.

Bollocks to Alton Towers is an interesting snapshot of the weird and wonderful land which is Blighty.  Some places I confess to have visiting myself, some that could be quite interesting, (just as pure research goes) if I even happened across them, and some it was enough to read about them in a book and never venture.  This book, written by four different gentlemen who all tasted different parts of Britain, to be honest wasnt as good as I hoped.  I found the writing quite dry and humourless, and some of the places they visited I was still confused to what actually they were, and having to Google them myself to get a better idea.  They weren't very clear on the places they were visiting and instead of describing them they seemed to try and come up with funny similes and metaphors and generally going off on a wee tangent.

I think this book could have been really good if had been written by a famous comic.  I was disappointed with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment