Thursday 26 May 2011

One Day - David Nicholas

I can imagine you at forty,' she said, a hint of malice in her voice. 'I can picture it right now.' He smiled without opening his eyes. 'Go on then.' 15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY.


Why Read - This was a book given to me by a friend, I also noted that I had heard people talk about this novel and saw people who were reading it on the Train. In fact whilst reading it, their were two other people in the same carriage as me also reading it. 

I loved this book, for a chick lit, rom comedy type book it really had something.  It was well written and defiantly had me hooked.  I think what I liked most about this book was it was very realistic and easy to relate too. The characters were somewhat normal, and bit of screw ups, nothing was easy and they didn't get their breaks when they wanted too. For example the main female character left university with a good degree, but like most normal people she didn't land that dream job, and she struggled. After have been a student and got no where after Uni, it was a lot nicer than these fantasy scenarios.

It was also quite moving (at one point I put the book down and went Im scared to read the next bit in case.......happens (i wont spoil it)), I felt that connected to what was going on.  Also although the outcome was almost predictable. Its about two people, who are good friends, who are obviously smitten by each other but never quite having the right moment to tell the other how they feel. Despite the almost predicability, he threw in some nice twists and some very realistic scenarios.

I felt very moved by this book, It was another one I couldn't put down, and a definite recommendation.  As soon as I finished it (ignoring my friends at lunchtime to read), i handed it to someone who I knew would love this book too.

No comments:

Post a Comment