Sunday 16 January 2011

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold




The Lovely Bones works as an odd yet affecting coming-of-age story. Susie struggles to accept her death while still clinging to the lost world of the living, following her family's dramas over the years. Her family disintegrates in their grief: her father becomes determined to find her killer, her mother withdraws, her little brother Buckley attempts to make sense of the new hole in his family and her younger sister Lindsey moves through the milestone events of her teenage and young adult years with Susie riding spiritual shotgun. Random acts and missed opportunities run throughout the book--Susie recalls her sole kiss with a boy on earth as "like an accident--a beautiful gasoline rainbow".


A recommendation after someone watched the film and told me I should read the book first.

The Lovely Bones is a story of a teenage girl who has passed on into the after life and is in a transition stage, so can still see her family 'Below'. Its a lovely story based on what many people believe and think the after life is like – you can have whatever you want, that you are happy and free and surrounded by people, and if you have unfinished business you can 'haunt' those remaining.

The style of writing is very easy to read and flows nicely. I must admit I couldn't put this book down it had plenty of twists and turns to keep you going. However I wouldn't put it down to the literature genius I was led to believe it was, more the kind of chick lit style of writing, which lends itself to be easily followed. Yes I admit it was almost refreshing to see a book written from a different perspective and it was nice to see that our ideal of heaven is exactly how she writes it, to the point you could almost imagine this is what life is like after you pass on. It was a very lovely book with a happy ending and the story was a pleasant one to read. Again (I seem to be on a pattern here) a book you probably should read, or alternatively just watch the film if u can't be bothered. I admit I haven't seen the film yet but I presume it follows the same flow and the same lines of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment